Ole Ole!


So I just finished watching Elizabeth Gilbert on TED Talks. And it reminded me that I used to write. And that prompted me to pick up my laptop and just type tonight. Because something peculiar happened this weekend that I need to face and talk about. And examine why it happened.

It was Saturday, and I had a whole list of things to do.

I make websites. And I have this project that requires me to learn a lot of things that I don't have time to learn. Anyway, I was experimenting on doing something which has not worked for about a month and I know I'm missing something and I can't find it. Anyway, I was working on a website, and did something to prepare the site for back-up. After a click, the screen went white which it was not supposed to do. But it did. And I felt fear envelope me and panic set it.

So I stood up and tried to psych myself that it was alright, that it will come back, that the server was just processing something and it will be normal in awhile. I then realized that my hands were shaking and I was panicking. I don't know if it's age or stress or pressure. But I got really afraid of what it was doing to me. Hands shaking, palm sweating, almost-had-a-heart-attack episode - that was just wrong.

After awhile, the site came back. And I was right, the server was processing and it just needed a bit of time. But it bothered me a lot. So I took a break and watched Train to Busan - and I screamed my fear out.

I knew I just need to take time to study about the thing that had happened. That the panic episode was unnecessary had I only read that some websites do that depending on size of data. That I need to practice doing it again and again so that when it happens again, I will not kill myself by hyperventilating. That it will not kill me if the worse happens.

"Every pursuit, every passion, comes with a shit sandwich" - Elizabeth Gilbert. She said that if you get a sandwich while doing the thing you love, and you still want to do it and you feel better doing it than not doing it - then just eat the fucking shit sandwich.

So that panic attack - that hands shaking, palm sweating, almost-had-a-heart-attack episode - was my great shit sandwich this weekend.

And yeah, I still want to make websites. So F*cking Shit! This shit sandwich is horrible but I'm eating the whole damn thing.

P.S. Re: creativity, it helps that this great thing that I do, this thing that helps people somehow, that makes it convenient for other people to get data they need, it does not come from me. So I shout Allah, Allah, Allah! God God God! Ole Ole Ole!


Comments

Popular Posts