father, sons, geishas

Have had a very busy week. An all-boys school had their Foundation Day yesterday. As part of the program, the fathers had to come up with a dance number with just 5 days of practice. My brother hired my sister for the event. My sister asked me to help out. Aside from trying to get to work on time every day, I had to teach middle-aged fathers how to dance "Macho Guapito, Hagibis, Mr. Suave and Blue Jeans" every night for just four days. All during that time, taking pictures of practices, mothers, sons and fathers to place into a powerpoint presentation as visuals for the dance itslef. It was no easy feat. Not all the Dads were dancers. But keeping in mind that they were doing it for their sons, they were all pretty game about it. The kids had a cameo role in their fathers' dance number. Seeing the sons together with their kids, I've realized how alike a father and son can be without them recognizing the similarity. We noticed little things. One father and son tandem have very good rhythmn. Another pair had similar habits of complaining too much. Still another, all shy and quiet. My nephew and brother both danced the same way. Mannerisms, talk, attitude, looks. All alike with just a hint of individuality. They did great! For just four days of practice, they wowed everyone. :) The night ended with a fireworkds display. Was very tired but too tired to sleep.

Squeezed in between practices and picture-editing, I managed to watch Memoirs of a Geisha. I loved it. Read the book just a year before Zhang Ziyi reached stardom in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The movie reminded me of how amazing the book was. It was the only William Golden book I've read but I remembered that I couldn't put it down. The movie was well-planned, sticking to the important parts of the storyline. Liked it that they ended it when Chairman and Sayuri finally came together. What they did not mention was Sayuri's struggle still continued after that. She was able to migrate to the US with the Chairman after the war. But the Chairman was married and she remained a geisha even in the US. Have a high respect for geishas after reading the book. Wonderful. Gripping. Absorbing. Must watch.

Comments

Popular Posts